1966-1967 Speaker Size Authority

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

1966-1967 Speaker Size Authority

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I've been trying to find a definitive answer on what size speakers, how many and in what spots that the 66-67s have with the varying options. I have searched and searched the forum and I am still confused with what seems like a ridiculous number of combinations. So, in a quest to get the facts, I am putting my assumptions down here and somebody please correct me if I am wrong. I have noticed 4x10s being mentioned frequently, but I am not sure if this is for all locations besides the kick panel or what. I couldn't really find a good answer.

EDIT: Sedans with AM only: One center dash speaker, one rear (right hand) package shelf speaker
EDIT: Sedans with AM/FM: One center dash speaker, two rear package shelf speakers
Sedans with AM/8-track: Two kick panel speakers, two rear package shelf speakers

Convertibles with AM only or AM/FM: One center dash speaker, one center rear package shelf speaker
EDIT: Convertibles with AM/8-track: Two kick panel speakers, one center rear package shelf speaker

What are the sizes involved with each location?
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1966-1967 Speaker Size Authority

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Center Front and rear speakers on all convertibles are 4x10s.
NickG
Lincoln Maniac

Post by NickG »

Nick, I believe that on convertibles, if the radio is AM with an integral tape player, there is no dash speaker. My car has this option and there is no center dash speaker. The convertibles with this type of radio came with only the kick panel speakers, right and left, and the single rear speaker (left channel). You can verify this with the wiring diagrams. I've also noticed over the years on many convertible with this particular radio/tape player, that the dash area where the speaker would normally be placed is not cracked. I wonder if the dash speaker has something to do with the dash pad cracking over time, especially on the left side. Has anyone else noticed this?
1967 Continental Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sure. But if you put a speaker there, it will be a 4x10. :D
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Only two sizes were used: 4x10 for the one front and one/two rear, and 5x5 for the kick panel stereo option. Both sizes can still be had without special arrangements.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

you have to be careful with the new 4X10 for the rear. New speakers are wider and deeper than the originals. The magnet grabs the steel on the sides and bottom of thepackage tray and when you put the top of the package tray back with the speaker plugged in and it hits the metal it shorts out the radio. Right now I have new 4x10 kenwoods in my 66 vert. The front one is fine. When I installed the rear I had to put balsa wood on the bottom and sides. Over two years something must have moved and the system sorted out again. Now the sides and bottom are lined with Frost King 3/4" foam tape. It is fine now but I am sure when the foam fully depresses it will short again.

Mike Hagan (Mike Hagan's Antique Auto Radio Repair) told me last week he just got a 4X10 short rear speaker for older cars. Updated sound with the magnets being moved up and to either side. I think he said it was about $65.00/each. His address is 235 Glouster Rd. Fairless Hills, PA 19030. Phone (215) 547-7145.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

RMAENV wrote:Mike Hagan (Mike Hagan's Antique Auto Radio Repair) told me last week he just got a 4X10 short rear speaker for older cars. Updated sound with the magnets being moved up and to either side. I think he said it was about $65.00/each. His address is 235 Glouster Rd. Fairless Hills, PA 19030. Phone (215) 547-7145.
Thanks for that info Rob! I was going to order a 4 x 10 for the rear of my '64 convertible from S & M Electrotech, but wasn't aware of the problem with the magnet. I wonder if Mike's short 4x10s have the same location for the screws as the originals. I may just stick to my original plan and have the original speaker reconed.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
67cab-dk
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 67cab-dk »

I use a 4x10 Dual Voice Coil from retrosound and it fit a 67lcc in the front and rear
http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/68
>>THOMAS<<
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2260951
1967 Lincoln Continental convertible
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Jim,

That speaker that 67cab-dk just posted above, the link, to seems to be exactly what Mike was trying to explain to me that he just got in at a cruise night about a week ago. He said it was made for 2 channels (see the 4 connection posts in the link pics) he said that for convertibles like we have with one speaker in the rear he can fix so we can use just the one original plug we have and have sound out of both sides of the speaker if we don't want to run a separate wire set to use the separate chanels of the speaker. Same price also.

He is only about 4 miles from me but I haven't had a chance to get down there and look at it yet and talk to him as to what he has to do to alter it. Would seem likely to me is no more than jumping one set of terminals to the other so both sides of the speaker work off 1 power source.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Thanks Rob! Keep us posted.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Edited first post to add yet another combination. I went to my factory service manual and found the different combinations there. For sedans, there were three different configurations of speakers depending on which radio the car was originally equipped with.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Since I plan to send in my original AM/FM radio and get it converted to modern electronics, I’ve decided to upgrade the speakers at the same time. Would rather not use the DVC speaker in the original dash location, mostly because pulling the pad is a pain in the ass and there are a lot of unfavorable reviews for them. I do have a set of kickpanels that I can use the factory speaker location, but am a little confused about what would fit. Tony mentioned 5x5 above, but if I measure the mounting holes diagonally, they are actually right at 7” across. Can anyone verify size?
Nick
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Nick, the measurement for the mounting holes isn't the dimension referred to in the speaker size. That spread may be longer, but the diameter of the speaker itself is 5". That's the size to shop for; and I learned that the aftermarkets make them to mount properly without any mods.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Emas9420
Frequent Contributor

Post by Emas9420 »

sorry to revive an old thread but i had a quick question.

I just got back my radio with the new aurora upgrade etc. and i realized the front dash speaker has 4 wires.

How would i go about rewiring that? would that be left and right in 1 speaker? I don't know if the speaker is the original or not.. Something tells me it is. i see here an original and also has the 4 wires. https://borthautoparts.com/parts-produc ... 8808-a-cp/

The manual does show 4 wires. it just doesn't show what color is what. But its 4 wires onto 1 plug.. Anyone can help?

Thanks!!
- Emanuel
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Most radios, of that time, had a transformer on the speaker. I am pretty sure the power went from the radio, to the transformer, back to the radio, through the fader, then to the speakers, I am no expert on these things, so someone may correct me. The OE speakers are, I think, 4 ohm, and may not be a good match to your new receiver, and the wiring is dated, I would run new wires and speakers. Keep in mind, the old radio was mono, but the new one probably has 4 channels.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”