1972 Continental

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 1972 Continental

Post by Castrosua »

and for that matter, should i just start an individual thread for each job? so its easier for somebody to search in case they need to look?

THe only issue i can see, is that i might have to copy and paste some of the details that might have torque values etc.
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You can update the posts with the picture links if you wish and upload pics as embedded attachments if you wish. It's your choice. If your hosting goes down or the account gets deleted, the files that aren't embedded will be forever lost.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Ill start on that then. Updating the thread here, little by little. I dont have a program to shrink photos down, so taking pictures that were at 2400 pixels or so and converting them to 1000 took a bit lol. total theres about 250 pictures i posted over time.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Castrosua wrote:Ill start on that then. Updating the thread here, little by little. I dont have a program to shrink photos down, so taking pictures that were at 2400 pixels or so and converting them to 1000 took a bit lol. total theres about 250 pictures i posted over time.
SHould be able to use plain ol' Paint that is standard with Windoze to resize. Pretty crude program, but for free, you can't complain.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Started re uploading pics, ill post when its all done again
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There are plenty of simple graphics programs available online. Try IRFanView. It has a simple resize function.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Already did them, so too late now lol

I just say that the posts show if and when an edit is, so ill just mark them as edited and not post the date, to save on some time lol

Edit. Pages 1-13 have been done. Also this will help me keep track when i take breaks lol
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Ok, all done for the most part. Some things i didnt re upload were just the pretty pictures, those will have to come back in time lol.

I tried getting the mechanical stuff, of things opened up, and now im debating something. SHould i post things i do here, because theyre on my car, or on their other threads?

I ask because the search function only works in each category. so if i search lets say, "vacuum headlight leak" in accesories, i might not find it, but if i do in member projects, it shows this thread. The issue is that somebody that doesnt know would have to search each section separately.

So whats the best idea? Post here and link out, or create another thread in each applicable section and link here to those?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Castrosua wrote:The issue is that somebody that doesnt know would have to search each section separately.

So whats the best idea? Post here and link out, or create another thread in each applicable section and link here to those?
Searching can be one forum, multiple, or all, so it's not an issue to put things in one thread.

A proper search will find the thread if the poster uses the right words and the searcher searches for them.

I'd put any updates and tips in your project thread if they are for your car. If you have a question about how to do something, you can start another thread to ask the question and then post the results in your project thread and link back and forth if you wish.

There's no hard and fast rules about this. I consider project threads the place to state you are doing things and the rest of the forum as the place to ask questins on how TO do things. Of course, good members will read them all and give you assistance no matter where you ask. ;)
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

cool. ill do that then, ill start on the technical threads, then once a job is done, ill move the stuff here, and link to the technical thread, once i pull the pics of that, to save on bandwith :D
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

So an update on some of the stuff ive done to Lorelei. Not really a lot, just small touch ups and testing out things like POR-15

Oh and having a mascot for her at car shows lol (clearly was bored)
leave it to hotwheels to make a Lincoln as a police car..grrr
leave it to hotwheels to make a Lincoln as a police car..grrr
taped out the rivets, repainted although its not the right shade of brown, but then again, its not a 72, but at that size, close enough right?
taped out the rivets, repainted although its not the right shade of brown, but then again, its not a 72, but at that size, close enough right?
260.jpg
So i redid my spare tire. And yes, i did wash it in the bath tub, then painted it and cleaned it up, since this one is one of the originals that i have the paperwork for, with matching serial numbers for.
261.jpg
only remnants of the pink band at the lip of the rim can be seen
only remnants of the pink band at the lip of the rim can be seen
pretty, and ready to go in the trunk, although just for show, there's another spare for actual use.
pretty, and ready to go in the trunk, although just for show, there's another spare for actual use.
So, the headlight vacuum motor issue. Got it done and i might just let it be, since the job West Coast Cougar did was pretty good on the craftsmanship, but they put in the wrong size shaft. I might send it back, but so far the set up i have now seems to work ok. And i dont want to tempt fate and have them redo it and come out worse lol

I put a few pictures here, just to show some other stuff that might be helpful to others later, things that are under the grill, supports, horns radiators etc
out of the box they sent it.
out of the box they sent it.
when i realized something wasnt right
when i realized something wasnt right
headlight down position (disconnected)
headlight down position (disconnected)
headlight open position (clearly it doesnt reach)
headlight open position (clearly it doesnt reach)
268.jpg
This is the setup i have, temporarily, (or more long term. dont know yet)
This is the setup i have, temporarily, (or more long term. dont know yet)
open position
open position
closed (the shaft does stay straight when vacuum is applied, this was with me pulling the covers down my hand)
closed (the shaft does stay straight when vacuum is applied, this was with me pulling the covers down my hand)
I used some heavy duty plumbing strap (not really strap, its more like a strip of steel, It will NOT bend lol). The spring pulling up will keep the shaft straight in the motor, and pulling down the vacuum will do the same. so it wont stress the motor. Plus i ran this through the guys that rebuilt it and they said its perfectly fine too. So well see. So far, they seem to be working just fine. So i might just let them be.

I also did some of the areas that started to surface rust, and tried POR-15. I know this stuff is permanent, but im not so crazy about how it looks. I guess its more for undercoating, etc, and not visible areas. But still better than nothing, and easier to put on with a brush than the Rustoleum aerosol.
painted that panel behind the header. It wasnt bad, but it had some rusty areas because of water pooling there
painted that panel behind the header. It wasnt bad, but it had some rusty areas because of water pooling there
this always bugged me, even if you couldnt see it with the headlights on
this always bugged me, even if you couldnt see it with the headlights on
274.jpg
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Havent posted here in a while, so i might as well with more awesome news. Lorelei will not shift on her own now. I can get her into 2nd manually but thats it

Fluid checks out fine, although i added just a bit, but still within the arrows on the dipstick.

It was fine, drove on the highway, got off, made a full stop, then another full stop, then done, no more shifting, just 1st. It was insanely hot today, so im thinking that cant be a coincidence, and that blew out either a vacuum line or the modulator itself.

But this meens that between her, and the 73 that still has no power, and my Crown Vic with a binded steering column, i dont have a car i can drive. :smt011
wasagachris
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by wasagachris »

Castrosua wrote:But this meens that between her, and the 73 that still has no power, and my Crown Vic with a binded steering column, i dont have a car i can drive. :smt011
Al I guess you can't mock me anymore for having a fleet. :D No matter what I always have a working set of wheels.
I do feel for you dude as all three cars sound like costly repairs to get them on the road again. I do hope Lorelei can get up and running again real soon.
BTW do they make get well cards for cars? :lol:
1961 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan,
1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car 4 Dr,
1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series Stars & Stripes Edition
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Hehe, well the good news is, it was just a shift modulator on Lorelei. 10 minutes and she was done. The longest bit was driving to the parts store to get a longer piece of vacuum line since the new module was shorter.

And the 73 is running good too so far (well see what else pops up in time though lol)

But now i have 2 out of 3. The Crown Vic though, ugh, that will be a colstly repair, between the steering and the ac. That car needs the ac too, since its rounded off, it just doesnt get a nice breeze through it.
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Castrosua wrote:i will be getting a new motor next month (waiting for a pay check lol)

Until then, shes determinted to piss me off....she started leaking fuel again, from the sending unit. Once the tank is lower in fuel, ill rtv the thing and done. Clearly the gaskets i got, even from bakers dont hold any fuel.

Its bad enough that i got 11mpg on the highway...I may still have bearing or sticking breaks, but i drove it and testing it this morning, putting her in N and coasting, on flat and various grades on the highway and she coasts just fine.

But if that wasnt enough...she just had to show me whos boss...the fuel gauge is dead as a door nail...and its not the sender. I connected the wires to my old, known working sender, and still nothing....

So yeah....knowing her though (several other things have done this in the past), the gauge will be fine tomorrow, and all attempts to figure it out will be in vain...she has "personality" like that....
Just be thankful she's just playing with you and teasing you. Remember these things are witches, vixens and warlocks. She could turn on you much more seriously. Stay out from under her for at least a month in case she's gunning for you!
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair