1978 Lincoln Continental Convertible

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

StevenSH

1978 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Post by StevenSH »

I ran across a 1978 Lincoln Continental Convertible. While I understand they made this vehicle in limited quanities in 1977, I am curious whether the factory made this vehicle in 78. This one has 88K miles, is origional, and has been in storage for 30 years. Any info would be helpful. thanks,
Steven
Modntractr@aol.com
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1978 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Post by TonyC »

There were no factory-produced convertibles for sale to the public after 1967. If it is a factory convertible (and I stress IF), it was an experimental model only, probably snagged by a Lincoln employee and subsequently handed down until it popped up where it is now.

Chances are more likely that any '70s convertible is either a home-made chop job or the product of a professional custom shop not affiliated with Lincoln at all (like Hess-Eisenhart or Moloney, or even an obscure-name entrepreneur).

---Tony
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It's probably an AHA (Andy Hotten & Associates).
58limited
Lincoln Maniac

Post by 58limited »

I believe you sent me a PM from my '58 Buick group about this, but I'll answer here too:

There was more than one company that produced these conversions, between three and five I think. I have researched these cars and what I have been told is that these were special ordered through the dealership. The car was sent from the factory to a conversion shop and then delivered to the dealer. The Continental Coupe or Mark V could be converted, and between three and six four-door convertibles were made too. Some people have told me that they were factory authorized conversions but Lincoln's archives division told me that they were dealer offered promotions. I think that "Factory Authorized" means that Ford would still honor its warranty on everything except the converted parts.

No one really knows how many of these were made. SILLCO averaged about 50 conversions per year, as did Andy Hotton Associates (AHA). Best estimates are that about 150-500 were made between 1977 and 1979. Maloney, Hess & Eisenhardt, and American Custom Coachworks are some other companies that made these. There was a small company in Dallas or Houston that made about six, and a few other small outfits in other areas. Quality was variable between companies, some conversions were real hack jobs and others, notably SILLCO, AHA, Maloney, and Hess & Eisenhardt, did good quality work. Rust is a problem as even some of the good shops used welding rods that were poor quality metal. Most conversions utilized leftover factory parts from 1972 LTD convertibles: top frames, side glass, and front windshields.
1953 Chevy 3100 truck; 1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari; 1958 Buick Limited Coupe
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT; 1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Moderator, 1958 Buick Forum: http://www.1958buickforum.net/forums/
Don't Let Education Stand In The Way Of Learning
Marisa

Post by Marisa »

Very interesting...
Jur de Jong
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Jur de Jong »

We have one around here in the Netherlands http://www.lincoln-trouwauto.nl/ .
8)
Jur de Jong

1997 Lincoln Town Car
1975 Lincoln Mk IV Gold-Cream Luxury Group (sold)
http://mercuryclub.multiforum.nl/viewto ... ercuryclub
JimFreeh
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimFreeh »

Along with the Lincolns, there was a similar run of Caddy DeVille convertibles from 77-79.

Jim
Jim Freeh
Tidewater, VA.
64 Lincoln Convertible (bought in 74)
and lots of other cars...
Paige

Post by Paige »

I have just picked up a 77 convertible, trying to find out more Information if anyone can help me?
77 Lincoln Continental Convertible
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, first thing is what's been mentioned above: It's not a factory 'vert. It's a custom job. Which customizer, no idea, especially without any paperwork; maybe a history can be traced with the VIN, but that's still as-maybe.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Paige wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:41 am I have just picked up a 77 convertible, trying to find out more Information if anyone can help me?
Welcome! Hope you have some pictures to post. They’re a pretty rare sight.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Paige

Post by Paige »

Thanks for the reply Tony, I have a fair bit of info on the car from the vin, also received an Elite Marti Report when I purchased. So I have where it was first sold etc but it doesn’t have anything about the conversion. Also being in Australia Lincolns are few and far between! Have my work cut out for me, she’s a bit rusty!

Thanks for the welcome Lee!
Attachments
IMG_1441.jpeg
IMG_1411.jpeg
77 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Nice! I thought ACC was doing all of Ford’s convertible conversions in those years. Yours was called the “St. Tropez”
IMG_0661.jpeg
For the sake of your pocketbook, I hope the top and its mechanism is in good condition.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

As far as I know, AHA near Toronto, did most of the Town Coupe conversions, and all were sold in Canada. One came in to the dealership where I worked in '79, but it was a '78 car and had just taken that long in the process. It was very well done, dark blue like yours. I remember that it had a strange hood ornament, I was young and didn't know what it was at that time, but now realise it was a recreation of the greyhound Lincoln used in the '20s-'30s. It also had that bump on the trunk, but not all of them did
Only sat there for half a day, as it was pre sold, and the buyer was obviously itching to take possession, but it sure got a lot of attention while it was there.
Most of the cars I have seen converted from other shops were done on Mark Vs, but AHA preferred the Town Coupe, and so do I. Andy Hotten Associates was a Detroit area based shop, but they were sold and moved to Canada, and were re-named AHA at that time, so they are really not the same company, these cars were made after that move.
Check your car for it's DSO, if it was sold in Canada, it is most likely an AHA, or check your marti report for that, And post lots of pictures, we love "before" shots here.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Lee, The top is standard, off the shelf 1972 Ford LTD.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

frasern wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:58 am Lee, The top is standard, off the shelf 1972 Ford LTD.
Thanks Fraser. If I’d read the thread a little more carefully I’d have seen that :oops:
That must mean Ford was still running those tops off the line for a long time after.

I wonder if the added spare hump is a giveaway to the shop…
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”