I've been busy. DONE!

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: I've been busy. (I see the light!) (Now with video!)

Post by TonyC »

Mech, a pointer that will help you survive wet days: In city (or similar) traffic, shift the transmission into 2d gear and keep it there. The transmission acts as a secondary brake, similar to an anti-lock system, but at the drive line instead of the wheels. That will keep your momentum in check and allow you to stop quicker without losing control. Every owner's manual has recommended this, and I am a strong advocate of its use. And don't worry about over-revving the transmission; the C-6 can withstand speeds up to 60 mph in 2d gear. I know this to be true.

On a lighter note (however plausible), if anyone dares play the fool and say "I didn't see your brake lights," that is enough grounds in court to have that person's license revoked. If anyone cannot see those big taillights, they don't belong behind the wheel of a vehicle.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: I've been busy. (I see the light!) (Now with video!)

Post by mechatech »

TonyC - Thanks for the tip. I used it last week when I had to drive back from someones summer cabin in show/rain. Made a big difference in control on a windy country road.

The seat belts came back. Had everything rewebbed by Ssnake Oyl, they did a good job with 5 weeks turnaround.

Freshly painted housings for the front outside reels.

Except for the outside front belts all the seat belt bolts pass through the floor into a nut welded to the underside of the floor. Rear belts were easy. Just remove the back seat bottom and bolt in. Typical floor mount shown.

The insides were tricky. First I had to feed the mount ends through a slot in the seat rear. Then I had to crawl under the car and push a piece of piano wire up through the carpet where the inside belts mount to the driveshaft tunnel. I used a punch to cut a plug out of the carpet at that point.

Front and back belts in. Hardware only needed a cleaning.
Last edited by mechatech on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Lincoln Continental :smt004
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: I've been busy. (Finishing touches)

Post by navguy12 »

Looks great!
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

yes it does...you know...ive been watching your car since you had it on i think car domain..(i think)...and it is an inspiration to see it come through so nicely...

someday my gal will be like that...(ps, im a bit drunk lol..and im the kind that gets all i love you man...in this case..i love your car man lol)
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

My original belts have a plastic guard, coating, or sleeve over the end where it bolts to the body. Does Snake-Oyl replace, reuse, clean, or duplicate this feature or do they disposes of them? Their purpose is to prevent chaffing and cutting of the nylon on the metal edges.
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

Dan Szwarc wrote:My original belts have a plastic guard, coating, or sleeve over the end where it bolts to the body. Does Snake-Oyl replace, reuse, clean, or duplicate this feature or do they disposes of them? Their purpose is to prevent chaffing and cutting of the nylon on the metal edges.
I only had my belts rewebbed. They can rechrome and refinish parts but you will have to ask them about the coating.
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

After a 1000 miles of vibration free driving, I decided that maybe I should check my pinion angle anyway. Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has left.

This is the cam washer that adjusts axle tilt fore and aft and thus changes pinion angle. Fortunately I indexed the cam washer before disassembly. The washer was hard as armor plate. Blunted two punches to mark it.

First I had to load the car to attain a load controlled height of 5.70 inches from the top of the axle to a set point on the chassis above. About 350 pounds of ballast was required.

These pictures were taken with no load. Visually not much difference with or without load.
Driveshaft into transmission.

Driveshaft into axle.

Tools for the job. A protractor, wrapped in food wrap. It was borrowed with the promise not to get it dirty. The square was placed on top of the axle to give me a reference line to measure from. The level placed against the square kept the reference line level.

Front angle measured about 1.5 degrees.

Rear angle about 6.5 degrees.

Specs are 8 degrees 4 minutes + or - 50 minutes (7 degrees 14 minutes to 8 degrees 54 minutes). Combined I got a pinion angle of 8 degrees, right in the middle. No adjustment necessary, it couldn't be better. :-)
Last edited by mechatech on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My friend's blog.
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

No adjustment necessary, it couldn't be better. :-)
Well, after all the other challenges with your project, your have earned a 'free pass'!! :D
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

navguy12 wrote:Well, after all the other challenges with your project, your have earned a 'free pass'!! :D
Alas there's always something.

Before storing the car I resolved to fix a most irritating squeak coming from my A pillars.
Lining the A pillar trim with foam tape fixed the problem. But now there is a squeak coming from the front suspension I had off recently. Sigh... something for next spring. :smt009

While under the car I saw that the plastic sheath of the speedometer cable had melted. :smt010
It was resting on the transmission support crossmember which itself is only an inch above the exhaust pipe. The first thing to do was cut off most of the melted plastic.

Next I used something called "tommy tape" its a silicone rubber tape that sticks to itself but not to other surfaces. It's heat resistant and water proof.

Three layers of tape wrapped.

An extra clip to keep it against the floor underside. There is a factory clip forward of the crossmember; it seems that wasn't enough. With two layers of underpad and 1/4 inch of sound deadener there is no risk of the screw protruding through the carpet.

I may consider replacing it but it still works and a used one is $50. It's an aesthetic issue.

It doesn't end there. The muffler shop pinched my drivers side rear brake line. :smt011 Son of a ...!
I didn't notice any difference in braking. Another PITA thing to fix. At least it wasn't the passenger side. It took three attempts to bend that one.
Last edited by mechatech on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My friend's blog.
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

Man, I feel your pain and will be with you in spirit clearing up those 'little details'
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Your story is absolutely amazing! Wonderful shots, thanks for sharing those. It's just unbelievable you can do that quality of work in such a tiny space, you must be extremely organized.
Tell me, is the '72 just your favorite car of all time? They are actually pretty rare and I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to restore one. Personally, I love those cars, good for you!
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

John Mc wrote:Your story is absolutely amazing! Wonderful shots, thanks for sharing those. It's just unbelievable you can do that quality of work in such a tiny space, you must be extremely organized.
Tell me, is the '72 just your favorite car of all time? They are actually pretty rare and I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to restore one. Personally, I love those cars, good for you!
Thanks!

Doing this was a desire that sat in the back of my mind for 30+ years. Then I just happened upon this. It fit what I wanted, big, fully optioned, era of style appealed to me, good price and wasn't a rust bucket. This car came from Montana. In my region, back in the day, it would be rusted out in five years. The fact that it was a Lincoln didn't factor. Sorry guys. I was familiar with regular (Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc.) and muscle cars. As for luxury I knew of Cadillac and I heard of Imperial. I didn't know what a Lincoln was actually. Cadillac has the enviable position of being in the public consciousness.

Overall I consider myself very fortunate. I got a good specimen that was sound, very little rust (factory undercoat was a plus), all the parts were there and it wasn't butchered with aftermarket or shoddy repairs. However it was well used, not abused and everything leaked.

As for organized, I wish. Losing parts, losing tools, lack of good documentation from the start (not nearly enough pictures taken), memory like a sieve, poor planning at times; I could go on. Help from God and a knack for it is what got me through.

My friend's blog.
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

As for organized, I wish. Losing parts, losing tools, lack of good documentation from the start (not nearly enough pictures taken), memory like a sieve, poor planning at times; I could go on. Help from God and a knack for it is what got me through.
Amen to that....
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

Here's a couple of items that may be of interest. Sort of the cherry on top. I got these from http://www.martiauto.com/

This is the elite package.
Clockwise from upper left
  • - reproduction door data sticker (got a second one made as well to put on the car)
    - where my car stands in relation to all other Continentals made for that year
    - dates of order, manufacture, shipment; list of installed equipment; and how many made with that particular color, trim and engine/trans
    - reproduction retail price window sticker

The original factory to dealer invoice showing the wholesale and retail prices.
It's called an Eminger invoice. More here http://www.martiauto.com/eminger2.cfm

This is one time I love paperwork. :smt055 :D

My friend's blog.
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

This is one time I love paperwork. :smt055 :D
Very cool!!!!!