I've been busy. DONE!

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

I've been busy. DONE!

Post by mechatech »

All I wanted was new paint and a set of valve seals. But like everything I tackle it just took on a life of it's own. Started fall '05, projected completion spring '07. I thought I'd share and give others an idea if they were contemplating this. I had a lot more pix but lost about 30% when my Windows O/S got corrupted. Lesson - back up everything!

Deconstruction. The entire car was stripped, every nut, bolt, screw, rivet, if I could remove it I did. Only broke three bolts, two fender and a bumper, everything else came out by hand. A coating of RustCheck after I bought it helped.

Front fenders gone.

The rope is holding up the exhaust.

Interior shots

Gutted

Dash chassis gone.

This is the worst rust encountered, that and a small hole each side of the trunk opening, one hole in a rear wheel well, pinholes in the door skin at the lower rear corners (tight spot that catches water) and one hole in the trunk lid that some moron drilled for a hood ornament. Everything else was surface. Solid floor, trunk, doors, rockers. The black paint on the floor is what I did two years ago. Car was from Montana, that helped.

Under the wiper motor

Two bad spots were at the base of each windshield post. A flat area that allowed water to pool.

Behind the front wheels near the bottom was a silt trap that allowed moisture to eat the panel from behind.

There was some scale at the base of the firewall. Booster and steering shaft in upper left corner.

Base of the radiator/fender support frame was shabby

Chassis back from the auto restorer, who's doing the body.

Suspension stripped off. The two rusty rectangles down by the red jack stand are rotted panels cut out of the two front fenders behind the wheels.

Stripped

Back from sandblasting and primed. The rear boxes at the ends of the side rails just before the chassis kicks up to go over the rear axle were blocked with silt. Took a couple of hours with the hose to flush silt, rocks and rust scale out. I had a welder check the steel, he said a little thin but not enough to worry about. I have since coated the inside with rust converter and a wax/oil coating.

Partial assembly, the front springs were fun. It was like a big wheelbarrow. :D

Powerpack in. Practically fell in place. It was too easy which means that disaster must be looming on the horizon.

Rear end in... twice!

Under construction. It's so easy to work on without the body. :D The two lines sticking up are for the transmission cooler. I'm installing an external one as I don't trust the one built into the rad.

What's been done so far

Engine - This was fun. Bought D0VE heads: new valves, springs, seals, exhaust seats and one pitted intake seat, mild porting to remove EGR air boss in exhaust port. New timing set w/o 4 degree retard. (original timing chain stretched beyond recognition. No wonder I couldn't keep the timing right) Original nylon gear still had its teeth. New lifters, pushrods, bearing. New slightly better then OEM camshaft for mild performance increase. New distributor (original worn out) , new crankshaft damper, replaced crank pulley as original was dented. New oil, water and fuel pumps. Base pan very pitted. Replaced with a better used one from ebay. Drivers exhaust manifold cracked. Replaced both from a 75 Lincoln, heavier duty with ribs. The passenger side was already replaced once with a 75 so the pipe just bolted back in. The drivers side will need to be reworked.

Thought I could reuse pistons. Nope. Broken ring in #7 scored the cylinder. Bored .030 over; cast pistons gave 10.5:1 CR. Too high I was told for the mild cam I had and the junk gas here. They found forged pistons that gave 9:5.1 and with a snug enough fit so no cold start rattle. We'll see. (For those who may not know. Forged pistons expand more than cast so they have to fit more loosely. This means some rattle until the engine warms up.) The only other alternative was cast pistons with 8:1 CR. I wanted to go up not down.

I had 72 stamped rocker arms. They wouldn't fit the the 70 heads I had. I was told that the cast rockers for 1970 uses the valve stem to keep from spinning and this causes valve stem wear so I should try roller rockers. I said ok. Unfortunately they couldn't get the valve train geometry despite three sets of pushrods. Arrrg! Eventually went with shorter rocker studs, and the cast rockers and left it at that. Shoulda gone with 73 heads.

Transmission - It was shot. All the seals were rock hard and fell apart. New seals, gaskets, clutch plates, bands and vacuum modulator.

Driveshaft - It was shot. All new universals.

Rear axle - Guess what! New seals and bearings. Had it installed and saw the pinion sealed leaked. Had to remove it, send it back. Repaired and reinstalled. Fine now.

Brakes - Entire system replaced (for safety). Everything new except for the front calipers, booster and metering valve which were rebuilt and the rear drums which were honed out.

Suspension - New shocks from last year. All new bushings (originals rotted) and hardware. All new steering linkage and ball joints (for safety). New springs, there wasn't much sag but it may happen and since I could do it well.... Steering box and power pump got new seals as both leaked. Chiseled off an inch of grease/dirt from 30+ years of grease jobs on the front end. The front springs were a scary experince both out and in! :shock:

Chassis - Stripped, primed, painted, all new lines for fuel, brakes and fuel vapor return.

Body - stripped not quite to bare metal but enought to get the crap paint and any rust off by media and sanding. Holes filled with sheet metal, now it sits with a coat of sandable primer. When ready it will be dropped onto the chassis. I'll reattach the doors, hood, fenders, grill facia and trunk. It will then go back for blocking out, paint and a vinyl roof in the fall. (Some may remember that I was going to go w/o vinyl but cost and time swayed my decision) Trim rechromed or polished. New weatherstrip. I rebuilt (paint, new gaskets, polished lenses) the tail, parking and cornering lights.

Electrical and vacuum - In good shape. Wires were soft and pliable, no cracks or brittleness a couple of bad connectors. Stripped off old vinyl tape wrap and rewrapped. Vacuum hoses all good, needed cleaning. Starter and alternator rebuilt as both were on the way out. Disassembled and repainted heater and wiper motors.

A/C - Don't know what I'll do here yet. Evaporator good, condensor shakey, hoses good, compressor appears ok.

Interior - Very good condition. I'll replace the sound deadener and the insulation but that's it. Everything else will be cleaned.

I think the car had 156k miles on it. The engine top end doesn't show it but the brake pedal is a strong clue. The steel trim around the pad has one edge worn through. The worn out distributor bushing is another hint. I think the engine was rebuilt along the way and the crank pulley was dented during an engine pull.

Like I said this project just kept growing. Once I started removing things I could see other things that needed work and this led to other things etc. The usual suspects and ebay were a big help. Powertrain, body, rechroming, glass install are professionally done. Everything else I'm doing myself.

In the end a lot of this :smt017 :smt017 and this :smt013 :smt013 and a whole lot of this :smt030 :smt030 :smt030 :smt030

I'll keep updating if anyone's interested.

Edit: grammer, spelling and clarification.
Last edited by mechatech on Tue May 17, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 11 times in total.
1972 Lincoln Continental :smt004
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

Holy Moly that is bunch of work :shock:

Great job, that will be one heck of ride when you are done- Better than new !
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

More pictures!
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
MHMike
Occasional Visitor

Post by MHMike »

I for one am very interested! Keep us updated. This was a great, interesting read. I can't wait to see the progress along the way, and of course the final product :D
1976 Lincoln Continental:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/767537
jaydee
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by jaydee »

A Herculean effort. Wow!

Keep us updated.
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

man, you dont mess around...very nice work!
Chris Ingram
Frequent Contributor

Post by Chris Ingram »

Awesome! Inspiring! Keep posting; it really takes the mystery out of what goes into such an enormous undertaking, even as it shows just how huge a job it is.

Thanks!

Chris
1977 LincolnContinental Town Car http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3809944/1
http://www.heykemosabebook.com
Previous Lincolns:
'79 Town Car
'77 Town Coupe'
'79 AHA Hearse
'67 Coupe
'65 Convertible
'88 Town Car
MarkIII
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by MarkIII »

What a project! Keep the pictures coming!

My '70 sedan is somewhat like your '72, though with the 1972 tone-down of styling, I think only the roof panel, trunk lid, and rear bumper are the same for body parts.

Looking at the picture that goes with this description:
Base of the radiator/fender support frame was shabby
, is that the panel by the base of the battery?

You have a good picture there of a long extension-housing C6, with the usual straight across the top bell (both top bolt holes are level).

Did you rebuild the driveshaft yourself, or did you farm it out? I was trying to tell from the pictures if your '72 has the CV joint setup on each end, or if it just has the simple 1 cross at each end U-Joint setup. I couldn't really tell.

What system are you using to keep track of all of the fasteners, bits and pieces, etc etc so you can get it all back together? Over the years, there have been many cars that someone totally takes apart, then time gets on, they lose interest (or they die :( ), and it literally is a basket case. Often justed carted away as trash. Interested in how you are handling that.

Okay, just one more question... how many people did it take to lift what was left of the body off the frame, after you had stripped it of all of the bolt-ons?

I think the real reason you are doing all this is to replace the steel brake lines :D
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback :grin:
MarkIII wrote:I think the real reason you are doing all this is to replace the steel brake lines :D
Damn! You figured me out.
is that the panel by the base of the battery?
I think it is.
Did you rebuild the driveshaft yourself, or did you farm it out? I was trying to tell from the pictures if your '72 has the CV joint setup on each end....
No I sent that out. It is the CV setup. All 4 crosses were shot as were the ball springs inside the center yolk. The whole assembly was balanced.
What system are you using to keep track of all of the fasteners, bits and pieces, etc etc so you can get it all back together? Over the years, there have been many cars that someone totally takes apart, then time gets on, they lose interest (or they die ), and it literally is a basket case.
As I took something apart I would package related fasteners and parts in zipper bags, film canisters (great for small screws etc) and small boxes. Each was labeled as to what assembly it belonged to. For example there is a box marked "interior fittings" inside that a number of canisters marked "trim screws front window" "trim screws rear window" "mounting bolts dash panel" "screws vent duct" etc. Broken down this way each sub assembly is relatively simple. I took an overall picture and if something was complicated or had many unique parts then I took closeup. The parts manual also helps with its exploded diagrams. But because of the Windows debacle (never, ever use registry cleaning software, it's garbage :smt024) I lost a lot of reference pics for the front clip, hence this post http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb/vi ... highlight= I need help here if anyone can give it. :smt100

I've always had a natural affinity with machinery and I just seemed to understand, most of the time, how things should overall go together after having taken them apart. Even without pictures I will get there front fenders on eventually, but I may put a bracket in backwards or miss a bolt.

This will not be a basket case. Failure is not an option. I cannot afford the money, time or energy spent to not finish and having to let it go as such. I think many basket cases may result from lack of skill or poor planning (throwing all the parts into a box) or lack of time or running out of money. Speaking for myself I did not really realize just how extensive this would get. I had a clue but denial is a wonderful thing :D This is my first antique and first restore so ignorance was bliss.
how many people did it take to lift what was left of the body off the frame, after you had stripped it of all of the bolt-ons?
I didn't do this and I never saw it done. I was told they used an engine hoist with strap on the rear end and a forklift with a strap on the front, probably off to the side. The chassis was rolled out and a trailer rolled underneath. The shell is apparently fairly rigid and they didn't have to brace it. Anyway if they buckled it, it was their ass not mine. :twisted:

I only wish I had took more pix. The thing is I've got to get it done by next spring. When I started I had allowed only one year but various delays extended that by six months at this point. Picture taking was secondary to getting the work done except where I needed it for reference. I usually got so engrossed that I took a pic only when came across a difficult construction. Although I labeled and packaged most everything there still are many "where does this go?" questions.

Next task is putting the accessories on the engine and a few details. I'll post pics of that soon. After that not much. The body was sidelined for the past 3 months by the shop. Most of the work is done but there is some odds and ends to finish. I'm told it may be on the rotisserie next week and I'll get pix of that.

Stay tuned.
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
megaforcer
Lincoln Maniac

Post by megaforcer »

Wow, great project. Were you able to locate new body mounts/bushings? I looked everywhere in this universe and I could not find a set for my 79 conti.

Keep up the good work and yes more pics please :D
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Prior contributions to thelincolnforum.net have been removed by the author.
Last edited by DavidB on Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

megaforcer wrote:Wow, great project. Were you able to locate new body mounts/bushings? I looked everywhere in this universe and I could not find a set for my 79 conti.
The front radiator/fender support frame mounts were very shabby, I was lucky to get two NOS ones from Green Sales. No luck on the others. Fortunately the rest were still soft with just cracking on the surface. Try an industrial supply for sheet rubber. You can get it 1" thick and cut out your own. I found a local place that carried it but after closer inspection of my original mounts I decided to reuse them.

A few more pictures taken today.

3/4 shots overall

This time with a wheel removed. New rotors and bearings.

Rebuilt steering box and proportioning valve. Notice the spiral wire armor. It was quite easy to slip it on after the tube was bent. The armor is not sold separately so I had to buy three 60 inch pre made with fittings.

Rebuilt rear axle and all new lines and bushings. When the car is finished the suspension bolts will be torqued down.

Another shot of the lines; all hand made.

Close up of the front suspension. The spring did not compress one bit when the engine was dropped on. Some the pictures I took before disassembly show that the old spring didn't compress either. Bolts torqued in place are marked with yellow paint.

A before and after shot of the same area

The 3/8 fuel line was a bear to bend and fit. I had to do it twice and still screwed it up. I cut off the last section, redid it and connected the two with a brass fitting soldered in place. Had to do the proportioning valve to rear axle line (it runs parallel to the fuel line) a second time too. Make one mistake in measuring and it can screw up the rest of the piece. Forget trying to straighten a bend. Once it's in, it's in.

The body mounts had some cracking but are still soft and can be reused.

Replacement exhaust manifolds from a 75 Lincoln.

The original heat stove. Where I live it usually rusts out after a couple of years. I remember seeing older cars with just the elbow left.

The drivers side exhaust manifold with ribs cast on for strength.

Both manifolds are from a 75 Lincoln. The drivers side pipe will have to be reworked. Since the passenger side was already replaced once, the intermediate pipe slipped right on.

The original drivers side. Vertical crack below the sixth bolt hole.

Nothing like working with nice clean parts. Rebuilt alternator, new field coil and rectifiers. The starter needed a new solenoid and brushes.

A washer welded to the driveshaft to help balance it.

Hopefully next week I'll get pictures of the shell in progress.
Last edited by mechatech on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My friend's blog.
megaforcer
Lincoln Maniac

Post by megaforcer »

That looks great man. I have also decided not to replace my body mounts. I could not find them anywhere so I just left the body as it was. With these old cars its like opening a can of worms. If it aint broken then don’t fix it :D
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

megaforcer wrote:With these old cars its like opening a can of worms.
You got that right.

I took a shot of the work area today. Its 10' x 27' with a 6'6" ceiling. Saying its cramped is an understatement. Imagine manuvering a fender that's as long as you are tall, with the car in the way. Painted parts hanging from the ceiling.

Ideally if I ever did this again, I would want 5 times this area. One for the car, one for a work area with tools, and three for the parts. I've got parts in every room of the house; yes the kitchen and bathroom too. The attic has the lions share. To get the rear bumper up there I cut a hole in the ceiling of a closet.... I wonder if I'm getting carried away. :D
Last edited by mechatech on Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My friend's blog.
megaforcer
Lincoln Maniac

Post by megaforcer »

Yeah man, that’s really not enough room. If I was doing what you are doing in my driveway my neighbors would complain the living crap out of me. I just open the hood and right away I get a complaint in the mail that I am not suppose to work on cars :smt013

I don’t know how u squeeze all that stuff in there. I would rent a big bay for the project at least for a couple of month of assembly.