66 sedan power seat

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Nick Adams

66 sedan power seat

Post by Nick Adams »

I have a 1966 continental with a six way power seat, my problem is i can hear the motor turn when press the switch in any direction, but the seat does not move. Any help would be great. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

66 sedan power seat

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You could have any one or more of the following problems:

Broken gear
Bad seat switch
Bad solenoid

I just spent the last three months (not continuously) rebuilding my seat mechanism. I will be posting a rather lengthy article about it in the coming months. I'm sure you don't want to wait.

Try this: Get a small hammer and while activating the seat switch, tap (lightly) the round cylinders on the mechanism. If your solenoids are sticking, then you may only need to clean and regrease everything.

If the seat starts to move, then you know nothing is broken.

Try all directions and positions. Any nasty sounds out of the mechanisms means you got broken parts.
Nick Adams

66 sedan power seat

Post by Nick Adams »

Dan,

Tried tapping nothing happened, the motor sounds like it is running fine, no wierd noises, motor activates when i press switch in all directions.Is there anything else you can think of before i disasble unit.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

66 sedan power seat

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I'd say your solenoids are stuck and you have a broken gear or two. The only way to really fix it is to remove it and disassemble it. You'll find the problem.

To fix the unit, you need to remove the WHOLE driver's seat. Four bolts, a wire, and a helper to get it out. Once out, you can remove the seat mechanism from the seat itself. It's a little more complicated. All the guts are in the main housing that the motor bolts to after the rubber coupling. Open it up, clean out all the old, dried up blue grease, replace the broken nylon gears, relubricate, and reassemble. The motor is controlled by the switches and the one relay. the solenoids are just coils controlled by the switches.
Cliff
Occasional Visitor

66 sedan power seat

Post by Cliff »

Hi Nick, I see we are practically neighbors.
The problem you are having will most likely be in the transmission assembly under the front seat. Check the voltage directly on the solenoids, if that is proper, the problem will be inside. Mine became inoperative because the very old grease had caked up and prevented the solenoid plungers from sliding on the shafts to engage the drive gears. If this is the case, you will have to take it apart, clean it and replace the old grease. There are nylon gears in there, I found the best grease to be 100% silicon because it does not get stiff when cold. I tested mine down to 0 degrees and they worked fine. As Dan suggested usually the solenoid plungers will slide when you tap them, but your grease may be too stiff to let them move. Anyway, sounds like you need to take them apart but it is not very difficult. Good Luck!
[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Nick Adams

66 sedan power seat

Post by Nick Adams »

Dan and Cliff,
Thanks for the help, i will post when i am done.
qcable

Re: 66 sedan power seat

Post by qcable »

Is there a source for parts for the transmission and solenoid ?

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”