Pneumatic Window System - Bleeding Needed?

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

twright3

Pneumatic Window System - Bleeding Needed?

Post by twright3 »

I Have a 1947 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet preservation (unrestored) car. This car has pneumatic windows and convertible top. Recently when raising the window a connection in the door failed and the hydraulic fluid leaked out. I got the door card off and found the problem. It will be an easy fix. My question is, will the system need bleeding when I add new hydraulic fluid? If so, how is that done? Thanks.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Pneumatic Window System - Bleeding Needed?

Post by Lee »

Just to confirm the term "pneumatic" in your question...I believe the vacuum operated system ended with the war, and yours should be straight hydraulic, electrically driven. The return lines all go back to an open reservoir, and so is what Ford termed "self-bleeding". Any air will be removed through normal operation.

When you check the fluid level (confirm whether it is the original brake fluid, or converted to ATF), the windows should be lowered, or you can overfill it. Good luck!
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”