Hood latch?

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Hood latch?

Post by Mark6 »

I wasn't sure where to put this topic but on my 82 mark vi my hood doest close and actual latch shut? Here's 2 pictures put into 1 , do you all see anything missing on the under side hood part versus the lower part of the latch?
Attachments
InShot_20240227_001547717.jpg
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Hood latch?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Manually close the latch to verify it can latch. Spray it down with silicone spray, release it, manually, actuate it back and forth a few dozen times. Repeat.

It is not latching with a good hard slam, check the bump stops and adjust them a tiny bit lower.
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

I have but just seems like something is not catching
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Put the shank of a screwdriver into the "mouth" and push down, see if it clicks shut, if not, lube the crap out of it and try again. If it does latch, it just needs an adjustment, loosen the bolts and pry it up a bit. The slot will allow movement in 2 directions, keep it centered under the catch, just go up a little.
If you have a manual, it will have the procedure, a manual from some other Ford should be similar.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

Can’t tell from your photo, but if no luck with lubrication or adjustment, make sure the catch isn’t broken or bent (highlited below)
Attachments
IMG_0659-transformed.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You’re going to do some process of elimination of your own. We’ve given you some things to check. What did you find?
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

Thanks for the Info going to try all tomorrow when I get off and will report back thanks for the diagram as well that helps
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

While you're at it, may I suggest examining the release cable to assess its condition? Check for frays in the cable at the latch end, and make sure the cable's housing is secure on the body where it should be. Unaddressed issues there can cause more headaches with hoods. If nothing looks less than ideal, then all is good with that; just give it a good-measure lube hit.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

I found out the latch that clicks was down Instead of up position so ended up bending some of the metal on the hood part while trying to slam it shut🤕 now got to heat it up with a propane tourch so it be easier to bend the metal back in place where the opening is at by the hood latch
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I see that now, in your first pictures. It will bend back better without heat, and you risk burning the paint off the hood. If the latch has not released, have someone hold the release out, while you pull up on the jaw with a screwdriver. You may be able to just adjust the latch to fit the dent, try that first. Otherwise, you can remove that flat spring, just one bolt, then use a water pump plier, or a small pipe wrench to pry it back down, place the end of the jaw right at the inner kink, don't pull too far, leave it a little inward, and re-adjust the latch to the new, higher position as explained before.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

There's no reason to heat it up. It bent without heat it'll go back without it. Use a pair of jaw pliers and it'll pull back down pretty easily.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »

I tried its very tuff
Mark6
Frequent Contributor

Post by Mark6 »