1961 Medium Beige M-1414 interior

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

dgretz

1961 Medium Beige M-1414 interior

Post by dgretz »

Does anyone have a picture of the medium beige M-1414 (dupont 246-94875) used in 1961 interiors?
"63" Convertible - Rose "W"
Previous Lincoln's: "00" and "06" LS's; "16" MKZ
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1961 Medium Beige M-1414 interior

Post by frasern »

Check out Lees brochure under "Documentation". 4th picture.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
AlT63bird
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 1961-1963 Beige Interiors

Post by AlT63bird »

Funny - I just wrapped up submitting for print an article for VTCI's Thunderbird Scoop magazine dealing with Medium Beige Metallic-Light Beige interiors for 1961-63 T-birds, which used the same interior colors as Lincolns of the period (dgretz, you've already seen most of it in the VTCI Forum in the thread you started on November 1, 2023 about 1961-1963 beige interiors, "61 convert #54 trim two tone door panel, dash color"). The Medium Beige for interiors should, color-wise, be the same as '61-'62 Lincoln exterior color 'Z' "Desert Frost Metallic," a.k.a. "Fieldstone Tan Metallic" for T-birds (M-# 1427): the difference in spec/M-#s is most likely related to the interior colors, i.e. 1414 being a semi-gloss formulation versus 1427 being gloss for the exterior.

For cars with a Light Beige interior, I assume for Lincolns that color should be the same as '61 Lincoln exterior color 'T' "Honey Beige," a.k.a. "Sandshell Beige" for T-birds (M-# 1383), again in a semi-gloss formulation. What Jim Wulf and I didn't have were the M-#'s for the interior formulation/specification numbers for Medium Beige and Light Beige (sadly, that means the issue of Thunderbird Scoop going to press now won't have that information). Does anyone happen to have Ford's specification/M-#'s for Light Beige or any of the other interior colors used '61-'63 Lincolns and T-birds?

It is interesting to note that Lincoln's '63 Medium Beige Metallic exterior color, "Autumn Frost" Metallic (color code 'Z'), was also shown on charts as an interior color (with corresponding numbers for duPont's and other producers' (i.e. Ditzler-PPG, Rinshed-Mason, Martin-Seynour) interior formulations). Ford's spec/M-#'s differed between the exterior and interior applications. For '63 (and what needs to be confirmed for '62), the interior spec number was listed as M-# 1601 for T-birds for Medium Beige Metallic (semi-gloss), versus M-# 1427 (gloss) for the exterior (the exterior color was carried over all three years for 'Birds). The interior color for Fords and Lincolns using Medium Beige Metallic (semi-gloss) showed M-# 1581 for '63 - it wasn't used for T-birds.

The Light Beige semi-gloss formulation changed in '63 for T-birds to M-# 1587 for interiors; M-# 1543 (gloss) was listed for '62 Lincoln exterior color code 'T' "Champagne," '63 Lincoln exterior color code 'T' "Nassau Beige," along with Mercury-Meteor-Comet's "Champagne" exterior color sales name for '62 and '63 using color code 'T'. Interior M-# for '63 Fords and Mercurys (but not T-birds) with Light Beige Metallic (semi-gloss) was 1574, but strangely no Light Beige Metallic semi-gloss interior color is listed for '63 Lincolns in the Martin-Seynour chart.
Last edited by AlT63bird on Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Alan H. Tast AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club International
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Is this helpful?
DSCF9286.JPG
It is from the '62/'63 supplement.
'62 and '67 LCC.
AlT63bird
Lincoln Maniac

Post by AlT63bird »

Fraser: Yes, most definitely helpful. Now to get similar information for 1961, especially to get the Light Beige color M-# nailed down.

Strangely I couldn't find interior color spec number info in the '60-'64 MPC or on charts from Ditzler, duPont (at least for '61-'62) and others except for the '63 chart I found from Martin-Seynour (NAPA's supplier). And, upon further review, I see from this chart that the same Medium Beige Metallic was not used between T-birds/Lincolns but between Fords/Lincolns - M-# 1581 (T-bird M-# listing 1601 is exclusive)
Martin-Seynour 1963 Ford Motor Co Interior Color List
Martin-Seynour 1963 Ford Motor Co Interior Color List
Alan H. Tast AIA
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The '61 manual shows Honey Beige as M30J-1383. I can only find exterior #s, nothing for interior yet, but I'll look further tomorrow. I know the interior shades were subtly different between '61 and '62, as I need an interior for mine, and every '61 I have seen is an imperfect match.
'62 and '67 LCC.
AlT63bird
Lincoln Maniac

Post by AlT63bird »

Fraser: I'll be monitoring what you or others can dig up and revising my other posts accordingly to bring them up to speed. One of the reasons I went down this "rabbit hole" was lack of information on the differences between '61 and '62 interior colors and color chips for same. It's become apparent there is a difference, especially when '62 Ford Soft-Trim Catalogs indicated there was a trim deviation used for T-birds that directed beige-interior coded cars with an 'A' suffix following the interior code on the data plate were to use '61 door panels, seat covers and seat backs. After 61+ years there's still a lot to learn and to find.
Alan H. Tast AIA
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Here is that page from '61, I cannot find any information in any of my other books, on interior codes, perhaps the OP can say where he got that '61 code, it is not in any of my papers.
DSCF9287.JPG
Also, I have a very old book of colour chips, I was surprised to see some have the Ford M #s. Only '61 and '62 have them, but I included '63 anyway.
DSCF9289.JPG
DSCF9290.JPG
DSCF9292.JPG
They don't photograph vert well. These are only the Ford codes, nothing for Lincoln, those pages are very hard to find. I have another book for '49-'63, but it has no chips, just codes, and no M numbers.
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”