68 Continental with Aluminum wheels

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 68 Continental with Aluminum wheels

Post by Lee »

Yeah, I’m with you. I don’t usually defer to “experts”, but there obviously are hub-centric designs that just as obviously are not press-fits on the hub. I didn’t know this until jumping into the weeds, but some hub-centric heavy duty Fords apparently do use flat faced nuts.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s a belt and suspenders sort of approach. And if you have an old Mopar, you get left-hand nuts on the drivers side. Now THAT idea should have never left the drafting table, and allowed into the real world. I can’t tell you how many hairy-knuckled men (some might say “idiots”) I sold new wheel lugs to back in my parts-jockey days.
Attachments
IMG_0489.jpeg
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Apologies to the O.P. for this ongoing hijack.
It was not just Mopar, my '62 Buick, and many of my trucks have left hand wheel nuts, as late as my 1984 F250 (rear only) And, yes it is factory, shows them in the manual. They take 145 ft/lb of torque, and I don't have a 150 lb, reverse click, torque wrench, so I just have to wing it. I think it was a Dana thing, as the Sterling axles, used after that, were right hand thread.
What does your '41 have?
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Back to the first question, those rims were used in mid to late '70s, they will contact the calipers on a '68, unless you add spacers or machine the rims, but are a common swap, if they are driving well, I would leave sleeping dogs lie. Returning to steelies and hubcaps means finding correct rims, Lincoln hubcaps don't fit just any rim. If just selling the car, they look good as is, and the buyer won't pay anything more, so you won't recover the cost. Just my opinion.

Caveat; how much of the stud thread is making contact inside the nut? If the wheels have spacers, they need long enough studs to hold.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

frasern wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:43 am Apologies to the O.P. for this ongoing hijack.
It was not just Mopar, my '62 Buick, and many of my trucks have left hand wheel nuts, as late as my 1984 F250 (rear only) And, yes it is factory, shows them in the manual. They take 145 ft/lb of torque, and I don't have a 150 lb, reverse click, torque wrench, so I just have to wing it. I think it was a Dana thing, as the Sterling axles, used after that, were right hand thread.
What does your '41 have?
I think that’s a situation where you correlate your own weight as a % of 145 lb, and then step on a breaker bar at the appropriate inch mark 🤓
The ‘41 is all RH. Until you mentioned it, I would have said Ford never did that.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
arncl

Post by arncl »

1 Bad55Chevy that is a great article I'll put that down as you learn something new every day and make sure I pass it along. Thanks for the info. I will also check if it has spacers and the long studs if need be even though I am selling it. I want it to be safe.

Thanks for your advice and I found that the rims first came on a 72 Mark IV.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”