Interchangeable brake booster?

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Mcdizzle83

Interchangeable brake booster?

Post by Mcdizzle83 »

I just acquired a 68 Continental with the 462. The brakes have no vacuum assistance and I'm almost certain the booster needs replacement, based on it's looks.

I've tried searching online for boosters that may interchange with the Lincoln specific booster, but can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone know if there are interchangeable boosters available, or am I subject to the inflated price of original remanufactured boosters?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Interchangeable brake booster?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

67-69 continental NOT Mark III.
Dan Szwarc wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:31 pm Subject: 65 booster/master
Dan Szwarc wrote:Booster Dewey is your only choice. He can rebuild it.

66 or 67 booster won't work. Not sure what Ford changed, but they did.

Part numbers:
61-63: C1VY-2005-A
64: C4VY-2005-A
65: C5VY-2005-B until 12/15/1964, C5VY-2005-A from 12/15/65. C5VY-2005-C replaced -A
66 is C6VY-2005-C
67-69: C9VY-2005-A

Assume new PNs mean new designs and non-interchangeable.

Also: Subject: 1967 brake booster on a 1962?
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I think Booster Dewy will send you M and Ms. He calls them some kind of nuts, worth his cost. Wayne
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

With my own experience regarding boosters, I can confirm that no booster from any other car (to include the Marks) will fit on the clap-doors; they may look similar, but the bolt patterns are not. Barring significant body mods, only Lincoln-specific boosters will work, and even then there are restrictions.

I do have a bit of disagreement with the listings of what will fit where. During my booster crisis of 2006, I collected boosters from every car of the '65–'69 period, and this was what I learned: The '66–'68 boosters (contrary to above information) will interchange with no mods. '65 can fit in the firewall, but its eyelet is too short to use in later years, causing the pedal to hit the floor before full braking power can be delivered. '69 can also fit in the firewall, but its eyelet is too long for earlier years, causing the pedal to sit awkwardly high, making it a bit more difficult to apply the brakes. Both those years would require mods to the eyelet rods that attach to the pedal. The '66–8 boosters did not have these issues.

That is from my own experience; I don't expect anyone to agree with me unless they'd been with me back then.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”