Mecum Dallas

If it is Lincoln-related and doesn't seem to fall in the other categories or you just can't figure out where to put it, put it here!

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

NorCal Mike

Mecum Dallas

Post by NorCal Mike »

Tried to watch Mecum Dallas but didn’t see any of the Lincolns on air. Saw it looks like a couple didn’t sell. And the ones that did I didn’t see sale prices listed. Annoying
64 Convertible. Mostly original but has 4 wheel disc brakes and 20” Isotope wheels.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Mecum Dallas

Post by bd94s10 »

I wasn't able to sit down to watch any of it but I was actively looking at updates via the site. Looks like people must have had some high reserves!

You do have to log in to the Mecum site now (just like Barrett-Jackson) to see the prices. The black '65 convertible sold for just under $41,000 and from a guy I knew there he said it was pretty much original. Once you are logged in it will show the price it was bit up to... I was amazed at how many were listed as "the bid goes on..." which indicates it didn't sell.
NorCal Mike

Post by NorCal Mike »

Thanks Jason
64 Convertible. Mostly original but has 4 wheel disc brakes and 20” Isotope wheels.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

My impression is that the market is taking a breather. Prices softened this year. High interest rates mean putting money into T-bills may outperform investing in automobiles, for those doing it for money, or at least with an eye toward profit.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

In 2008 I won this nostalgic car index race in San Antonio driving my 55. The two street classes I entered and won was the 12.0 and the 11.20 index classes that were both sponsored by Vintage Air. The prize was a gift card towards the purchase of AC system and being that I won both of the classes the owner of Vintage told his guys that if I came in he wanted to meet me. When I was talking to him at the Vintage Air shop I asked him how business was going since it was the height of the downtown, he laughed and said "boy you have a lot to learn about life, it dosen't matter what the market does because people always have money for beer and hot rods."

As I have gotten older and I have realized how right he was. These cars are toys plain and simple. There is always people who have crazy money for toys and being that 90% of these things are financed through classic car lenders for 15 years it opens up the Market to most everyone...
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I've always found that when it comes to niche cars like these theres always more fluctuation then more popular cars. Only so many people want them, once they get them the sales sort of stall out. Or when they're hot the prices keep climbing to a point that suddenly even the big spenders can't justify the cost. Then the prices go down and more people start getting interested in them because it looks like a deal and theyre more affordable. Then the prices start going up again...
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

1Bad55Chevy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:18 pm In 2008 I won this nostalgic car index race in San Antonio driving my 55. The two street classes I entered and won was the 12.0 and the 11.20 index classes that were both sponsored by Vintage Air.
Chevy, as a one-time occasional bracket racer, I kind of understand index racing, but how do you go about going slower? Can you use a delay box, or a throttle stop, or shifting early, or..?
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Lee wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:30 pm
1Bad55Chevy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:18 pm In 2008 I won this nostalgic car index race in San Antonio driving my 55. The two street classes I entered and won was the 12.0 and the 11.20 index classes that were both sponsored by Vintage Air.
Chevy, as a one-time occasional bracket racer, I kind of understand index racing, but how do you go about going slower? Can you use a delay box, or a throttle stop, or shifting early, or..?
Lol magic.

In the 12.0 class typically every car is a foot brake street car trying to cut a light on a pro tree which never works out. My 55 has a th400 with a trans brake so I could consistently cut .020 lights where everyone else was lucky to get like .300 or slower. What I would do is launch the car and kill them on the tree then just proceed to drive away from them. Once I shifted the car in high gear I would start pedaling the car as fast as I could while watching them. When you start pedaling the car it keeps your momentum up and you sort of float with them but once you see them gaining ground you put it back on the floor and run it out the back. I would usually out HP them so they couldn't get around. If they cross the finish line with you they broke out since you killed them on the tree, if they leave with you or slightly ahead of you dump the brakes before the traps and push them out the back. I did that for 3 years in SA and never lost a single round of elimination. It got to point where the class ended up being canceled a race or so into the 3rd season and the only index racing was either 5.80 (on special events), 10.0, and 11.0. My father has a 77 Nova that we also use to run in the 5.80/10.0. I was never successful doing that in those classes because you are running against full electronics cars that cut near perfect lights every trip and run the number dead on.

The funny part of that Vintage Air story is when I was talking to the owner he told me I could only use the gift cards towards the purchase of an AC unit for my car. I was young and thought my car was a drag car and told him I wanted some brackets and other stuff they had. He told me "your young and if you keep that car long enough you will stop racing it and wish you took this AC system today". He ended up being right because I don't race it anymore and I still don’t have AC...
71 Lincoln Mark iii
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Mike wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:48 pm I've always found that when it comes to niche cars like these theres always more fluctuation then more popular cars. Only so many people want them, once they get them the sales sort of stall out. Or when they're hot the prices keep climbing to a point that suddenly even the big spenders can't justify the cost. Then the prices go down and more people start getting interested in them because it looks like a deal and theyre more affordable. Then the prices start going up again...
Thats very true but these cars are just so hot right now its crazy! I think majority of the people who are looking to spend big money on anything right now is looking for resto mods. IMO a lot of the resto mods that are out there (not just lincolns) are done terribly and these shops are charging big money for them.
71 Lincoln Mark iii
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Here is was my wrap up and a preview for Barrett-Jackson New Orleans: https://youtu.be/Ft0izPtS7mc

Return to “Miscellaneous Lincoln-related Discussion”