1966 Brake pad retainer/Splash Shield replacement

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

Re: 1966 Brake pad retainer replacement

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

I ordered the Thunderbird set on Amazon (AutoKrafters). I will let you know if they work.
1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

Re: 1966 Brake pad retainer replacement

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

The T-bird retainers arrived this morning. The reproduction T-bird splash shield/pad retainers are identical to the OEM Lincoln part. Mine is 66. I Bought these on Amazon. Ships from AutoKrafters, Shipping was quick too. Ecklers told me the don't carry them (Stock them).
Attachments
Original Lincoln compared to repro Tbird.
Original Lincoln compared to repro Tbird.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1966 Brake pad retainer/Splash Shield replacement

Post by TonyC »

On a related note, I recently (like, last Friday) dealt with a very disconcerting noise from my left-front wheel, the one that took a hit 3 months ago. It was a rolling clacking noise, which is all the harder to trace beyond the general location. I noticed that the noise would stop if I applied the brakes; I also determined that it was not wheel-cover chatter, the sound of which I already know (this noise had a dull clack to it, as opposed to very sharp clacking indicative of wheel covers shifting in place). Still, afraid that it could be something catastrophic building up, I took it to the shop to confirm the cause. I was relieved to know the wheel bearings were not the cause of the noise. The cause was coming from the brake pads, especially the outer one; they were flopping around in place with the motion of the wheel. The retaining cage (or shield) was not even touching the pads, much less holding them in place.

My solution was 3-step; it may have been overkill, but I figured doing 3 things wouldn't hurt, could help. First, I applied silencing grease to the backs of the pads. Second, I transposed the pads, putting the outer one inboard and vice-versa (all four pads are identical, so it matters not where they're placed, as long as one isn't so stupid as to orient them with the backing plate facing the rotor). Third, and this I think was the real difference, I did some involved bending to the middle of the shield and the two sprung pieces on it to make it press firmly against the pads, which is what it's supposed to do. Noise is gone.

Food for thought to those who still think in ASE mentality: Try fixing what you already have before tossing money to throw new parts, which may or may not work, at a problem. :wink: I think it was Action who once told me that; sound advice in that regard.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”