1968 seat belt relay location

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Jverrelli

1968 seat belt relay location

Post by Jverrelli »

Can anyone point out where the seat belt warning light relay is located on my 1968 4 door 460 powered Lincoln continental?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1968 seat belt relay location

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It could be on the driver's side inner fender under the plastic cover. I can't find it in the 67 schematics, but it's shown on a wiring diagram. I don't have 68 and no 58 schematics.
Jverrelli

Post by Jverrelli »

Thanks for the reply, there's only one relay under the plastic cover and it's the low fuel light relay, I tested it and the light lights up above the fuel gauge, is that where it should be? I will look to see if there are any wires or plugs tucked away.
Jverrelli

Post by Jverrelli »

Is there a buzzer that turns off after a few seconds or just a light on the dash?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

No buzzer in 68 or 69, AFAIK. Sorry about the relay mis-info. I'll edit.

Is the seat belt light on for 3-5 seconds after crank or just while cranking?
Jverrelli

Post by Jverrelli »

I will have to check and get back to you
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Why don't you tell us what the issue is or what you wish to do. It will help us help.
Jverrelli

Post by Jverrelli »

The issue is my seatbelt warning light has never worked, the lamp on the dashboard has 12 volts at the socket, I figured I would check the relay I see on the diagram but I don't know where it is.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Understood. It should light for a bulb Check when the car cranks. I think that’s the only time.

Also, it does not come on any other time. It’s not on when you’re not wearing your belt. That was too offensive to people back then.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

OK. I found it. There is no relay. There is only a battery feed to the lamp and then it is grounded through the seat belt switch which is built into the seat belt retractor.

https://lincolnlandinc.com/product-cate ... g-diagram/

https://lincolnlandinc.com/wp-content/u ... _large.jpg
Jverrelli

Post by Jverrelli »

Hey thanks so much, that makes sense, my car was built late 68 with the 460 so it probably is like the 69 model, when I get home tonight I will check if it lights when I crank the engine
Jverrelli

Post by Jverrelli »

Hi Dan, I found it. The diagram shows a seat belt switch near the ignition switch, I looked everywhere in that area, couldn't find it, I even removed the radio, then I removed the panel on the right side where the clock is, right in between the two flashers I found a typical ford 2 wire seat belt relay switch, it was bad, now when I turn the key on the seat belt warning light lights up for about 10 seconds and shuts off, thanks for your help, I'll add a pic of the switch, Jason
Jverrelli

Post by Jverrelli »

Hi Dan, I found it. The diagram shows a seat belt switch near the ignition switch, I looked everywhere in that area, couldn't find it, I even removed the radio, then I removed the panel on the right side where the clock is, right in between the two flashers I found a typical ford 2 wire seat belt relay switch, it was bad, now when I turn the key on the seat belt warning light lights up for about 10 seconds and shuts off, thanks for your help, I'll add a pic of the switch, Jason
Attachments
1968 Lincoln continental sedan seat belt switch
1968 Lincoln continental sedan seat belt switch
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

O wow...you mean the engineers addressed the flawed operation of the seat belt warning light by '68?? They switched from the light that can be fooled by the lap belt being pulled, to a timed circuit that goes out on its own?? That's cool! Actually, that was a criticism Motor Trend published in its review of the '66 model, with just such a suggested improvement.

I wonder if such a conversion could be retrofitted...? I mean, I heed the warning light, clipping my belt every time; but if I ever do carry others in Frankenstein, it is a rather awkward attempt to diplomatically advise them to buckle up as well. On the other hand, I already have punitive laws to motivate me; if anyone rides in my car without the seat belt fastened, I get the ticket...so, I don't even have to be diplomatic about insisting on it.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “1969-71 Mark III Authenticity Manual”