Shock Absorber Cross Reference

This forum is for listing part numbers, substitutions, and suggestions for replacement or new parts for our Lincolns.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Don R
Occasional Visitor

Shock Absorber Cross Reference

Post by Don R »

I needed new front shocks for my 57 Premiere but nobody listed them locally. Someone on another forum tipped me off to a solution - I removed one of the shocks and measured it then went on Monroe's website and opened up their mounting length sheet at http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloa...engthSheet.pdf

You pick the type of upper and lower mounts that fit your car then match them to the length dimensions listed for all shocks that they make, when you find a match it gives you the part number. You can then search the part number and it will tell you what vehicles it fits. Turns out the one I needed fits a 1994 Dodge B350 truck, it is the Gas Magnum type which is very heavy duty. I installed them yesterday and they fit perfectly. I just took it for a ride, what a difference! No more floating or bottoming and even though it is rated as HD the ride is very smooth.

This would work for any shock that is hard to find and also might give you heavy duty choices not available with standard listings. It's a useful reference which I have bookmarked for the future.
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas

1957 Premiere Coupe
Dads67Convert
Occasional Visitor

Re: Shock Absorber Cross Reference

Post by Dads67Convert »

This is the full link: http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/ ... hSheet.pdf
For some reason it got truncated. Copy and paste if necessary.
http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/ ... hSheet.pdf
macuser

Post by macuser »

Don,
I recently purchased a 1957 Premiere off ebay and I have been reading some of your posts regarding your find.
I am in the process of replacing the shocks and see that you have as well. Does your Premiere have different bottom bolts on the front shocks? With mine I think one is 3/8 in and the other 5/16 and can't imagine why they would be different. Also the rear shocks that are on there now look like they have springs attached to the shocks themselves. That wouldn't be original would it?
One more thing, would you know of a resource for the vacuum line diagram?
I would appreciate any info you can provide.

-joe
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Coil-Over shocks are almost always aftermarket and usually put on to compensate for sagging springs.
Don R
Occasional Visitor

Post by Don R »

macuser wrote:Don,
I recently purchased a 1957 Premiere off ebay and I have been reading some of your posts regarding your find.
I am in the process of replacing the shocks and see that you have as well. Does your Premiere have different bottom bolts on the front shocks? With mine I think one is 3/8 in and the other 5/16 and can't imagine why they would be different. Also the rear shocks that are on there now look like they have springs attached to the shocks themselves. That wouldn't be original would it?
One more thing, would you know of a resource for the vacuum line diagram?
I would appreciate any info you can provide.

-joe
Joe, all the bottom bolts were the same size on my car, do not remember the size. Sounds like maybe some of yours stripped out and they replaced with a larger size. My rear shocks also have helper springs, definitely aftermarket. You should purchase a shop manual right away, easy to find on Ebay. Pick up an owners manual too if you don't have one.
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas

1957 Premiere Coupe
bax

Post by bax »

Just an FYI, we put rear Monroe air shocks on my 68 Conti sedan...there was no cataloged part number, however Monroe MA810 worked perfectly. They are a great fix for sagging leafs...just thought I'd share.