1990 Towncar Problem

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

1990 Towncar Problem

Post by Guest »

Modern electric wipers have what is known as a "Park Mode" that allows the wipers to return to the retracted position when they are turned off.

While I'm not certain on the particulars of the 1990 town Car, you may need to replace the wiper motor itself. I believe the "Wiper Park" switch inside may be bad. It's a switch that supplies current to the motor when the actuall wiper switch is turned off. It stays closed allowing the wipers to complete their cycle. When the cycle is complete, the switch opens and the wipers park. If this switch is bad, the wipers will just stop whereever they happen to be.

Check some local salvage yards for a used motor (for prices) and check with the dealer to see they have seen this symptom before. You may be able to clean the park switch inside the motor with a little degreaser and light sandpaper. However, it will most likely be a temporary fix. Replacement with a new motor sould do it.

There is a second possibilty. There may be a separate controller for the wipers that is faulty. Again, the dealer should be able to help you figure out whether the failure mode is a symptom of a motor problem or a controller problem.

You should also check for corroded connectors at the motor and the wiper controller (if it has one).

------------------
Dan Szwarc
Lincoln & Continental Owners Club
WebMaster

1990 Towncar Problem

Post by Guest »

First of all, glad to have found you and thanks for being here! I have had a 1988 Towncar for years and recently acquired an incredibly well preserved '90 model with one peculiarity. The wiper blades stop in an upright position and will stay there for a few days and then return to the normal position if I keep turning them on and off every time I think about it. Any ideas about a cause and/or cure?

1990 Towncar Problem

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your quick response!

1990 Towncar Problem

Post by Guest »

My first post here! Finally found a Lincoln & Continental BBoard! THANKS!

About your wipers. Had same problem with a 90 Grand Marquis about a year ago. The switch assembly on the wiper motor was the problem. For all the labor to get the motor out, replacing the whole thing is the way to go, IMHO. The switch assembly could be separated, but there are a lot of small plastic parts that only go one way, and they scatter when you take it apart (we dissected the old one when we were done, to learn something).

The 90 Lincoln TC should be the same as the G.Marq. and Crown Vic.

We had two problems:

1) Getting to the darn thing. The motor is located under the hood, but have to get that drive clip off the shaft. It is in a very narrow slot under the cowl venting, and the windshield and the hood get in the way of seeing it. Much less trying to get fingers around it! Ended up taking off the hood, marking around the brackets on underside of hood, and pulling out the spring arm to hood bolts (leaving the arms up, with springs attached).

Now we could get to the shaft, with less difficulty, in time for problem #2

2) The rebuilt motor we bought through a reputable parts place, about $40, had its own problems, close, but not exactly the same as the original one. This threw us off for quite a bit, thinking something else was wrong. Finally, we went with our gut feel...

Bought new motor at a L-M dealer, about $140, put it in, cycled the wiper switch with the drive arm not connected yet, saw the windlatch piece on the motor do its dance thing, and then Park correctly! A big cheer went out! Getting the drive clip on took a few attempts still.

Forgot to say that the original motor has gone Manufacture Discontinued, so need splicing kit that has new connectors with wire pigtails attached. The rebuilt motor we originally ordered matched the one on the car, but when we picked it up, it had the new type of connector, and came with the splice kit. Our splice kit work was correct, as it worked with the good L-M new motor.

Also needed to pull the wiper arms off the spline shafts, have to lift the arm up far enough, and work that little slide latch so you can pull them off.

This was the last project that we used parts that are rebuilt by *#*******, a nationwide parts rebuilder, carried by many parts stores. Have had very bad luck with their parts. We always ask on the phone now who the parts were rebuilt by.

With what we learned, we could do one pretty quick now!

1990 Towncar Problem

Post by Guest »

Whew! No wonder the previous owner didn't fix it! Thank you for your detailed response. If you have a shop and you're anywhere near Dallas, I'll certainly let you "have a go at it". What would be the charge?

1990 Towncar Problem

Post by Guest »

No, RC, unfortunately, I don't have a shop. It's a hobby (and sometimes a necessity!)for me. Have to work out in the garage, when I can get space.
For cost, I figure the S140 for the new motor was full list price at the L-M dealer, so the motor shouldn't get more expensive than that. Then add what, $50-60 an hour at a dealer, maybe 3 hours including the splicing work needed? That would be my rough guess of what it would cost to have someone do it right. If you are handy with tools, and have some help available to lift off the hood if needed, you may want to try it yourself. Other than a simple metric socket set, I think the only other tool needed is a electrical wire stripper/terminal crimper, maybe $20 or so at a hardware or Home Depot etc. store. The splice kit has instructions of what color harness wire to cut and splice to what color on the new cable connector supplied. They usually include the crimp connectors too.
If you want to give it a try, I could scan the shop manual pages for the task, and e-mail them to you as a couple GIF files. If interested, let me know within a week, because the car and its manual will be gone for months after that.

MarkIII

1990 Towncar Problem

Post by Guest »

Thank you for the offer of manual scans but unfortunately, my general incompetence is exceeded only by my lack of mechanical skills. I like to know what is involved in repairing something so I really do appreciate you taking the time to spell it out for me.

I will leave this one up to the professionals!

1990 Towncar Problem

Post by Guest »

Yes I have seen this several times in 90+ Town Cars. The solution is to replace the motor itself. The park switches are contained in the motor assembly.

------------------
Daniel R. White
Svc. Mgr.
Hi-Way Ford/Lincoln-Mercury

1990 Towncar Problem

Post by Guest »

No problem RC, its always good to know what is going on. The more informed the better. The "sometimes a necessity" for me is due to the poor quality of work that I have found (sorry, DanW!).

[This message has been edited by MarkIII (edited January 04, 2001).]

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”